February 17, 2012


General Project News


New Hires
- Darrell can start next week, waiting to hear his work schedule
- Anish and Krishna, we're waiting to hear from the ISSO office

Maya Training
- Ayan was going through the YouTube videos
- Alex has taken some classes and feels pretty comfortable with Maya
- Matt hasn't had a chance to start the tutorials

New/Old Office Computers
- We got approval to activate data jacks for the new machines, Chris confirmed the order today with UCIT cabling folks so we should have the jacks active by early next week

Drupal Team Request
- Alex hasn't worked on the Drupal project this week since he was busy with the POC-CENT animations. He will check with the Drupal team to find out what their timeline.

Speaking Requests
- Chris will give presentation for Xavier University, the date is not yet confirmed but sometime in March
- Don confirmed the UCIT Senior Staff Mtg demo for 2PM on 3/14, we'll have 20 minutes for the demo, 315 UHALL
- Brad wants to know what computer we're using, so we'd need a web cam. We don't have a good presentation laptop to use and don't want to mess with bringing over a desktop.

UC Opensim


Opensim - Server
- Based on the errors we were receiving, the users list suggests we re-architect our system to spread the simulators our across multiple processes.
- Chris isn't sure how that will affect our current database or exactly how to do that process, so we'll have to figure this out.
- We need to figure that out before we create any more content on the system.

Opensim - UC Bookstore & Content
- Chris needs to find the Photoshop template for the boxes and send to Alex

Opensim - Allergy Walk
- Chris met with Brad to go over some of the additional images Estelle sent of the ragweed plants and pollen molecules
- Chris sent information about using higher res images, it turns out there's a limitation in the viewer that images can only be 1024x1024, so to use higher rez images we will need to slice the image into smaller pieces and paste it across multiple prims.
- The next Allergy Walk demo is on Sunday, March 4 at 11:30 somewhere downtown, the presentation to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. More details forthcoming soon.
- Brad will work on incroporating some of Estelle's new images by then.

UC Second Life


POC-CENT Project
- Matt is getting ready to put in the beep sounds
- We'll do walkthrough by the end of today to see current progress
- We'll need to tweak some of the delays for the new dialogues
- The new questions for the ventilator are implemented, but the shock part not yet implemented
- Matt is waiting on our "clear" recordings to add to the simulation
- Discovered that we can't have multiple animations int he same function, one animation at a time, so might need to do a temp rez or use transparency..
- Alex will finish changing the RR waves for scenes 2 - 4.5 to the more pointed wave form
- Alex recreated the CPR animation using the correct posture with the body moving instead of the arms
- Next demo is scheduled for next Wednesday 2/15 @ 9AM, Dr Lenz is coming to Zimmer Hall, Chris will use Brad's machine UCSIM007
- Alex caught a prim emergency on the POCCENT region, we were down to 12 prims. We all logged in and cleaned up extraneous materials and averted the immediate crisis, but will need to be very very careful about prim use moving forward.

Augmented Reality


- Brad has done some research on the JUNAIO app http://www.junaio.com/develop/
- Works for IOS and Android phones
- Location based GPS, Image based markers, or ID QR code type markers
- It's free, you use your server and connect to their back end and then you create a "channel", put all the content on your server and then people us the JUNAIO app to view your content.
- The open API uses XML
- Would like to have a demo of this tech in time for the UCIT Sr Staff meeting

February 10, 2012


General Project News


New Hires
- HR just sent notice this morning that they're ready to go fill out their paperwork
- Hired one graphic designer, Darrell, two programmer/sysadmins, Anish and Krishna
- As soon as they finish their hiring paperwork with HR and ISSO then we will get a start date for them

Maya Training
- When we get the Unity/JIBE platform installed, all content development will require mesh models, so everyone needs to get up to speed with Maya
- Brad has put together some training materials and will upload them to our shared docs and link them to the wiki
- Everyone should spend an hour or two each day practicing with Maya since the mesh models can be used in SL, Opensim, and Unity.

Office Supplies
- Office supply order came in yesterday, Brad saved the packing slip for Chris to turn into the business office.

New/Old Office Computers
- Matt deleted his personal profile off his old machine so it only has the generic admin account and everything is documented on the Software List page.

Drupal Team Request
- Alex got their website design together, he's now working on the layout of the content and he should be done with it next week.

Speaking Requests
- Chris got an email from Xavier University requesting a presentation on our simulations and VW's projects
- Don would like us to give a presentation to the UCIT Senior Staff meeting on March, don't know the date yet, need to confirm
- Will demo projects from Second Life, Opensim, Kinect, and AR - possibly JIBE but would have to "borrow" John's instance for that, Chris to email him

UC Opensim


Opensim - Server
- Chris installed some of Ayan's new starter avatars.
- Opensim server is throwing some weird errors, Chris thinks it might be related to the oar file she loaded.
- Errors seem to mostly pertain to items in boxes
- Chris will try deleting the oar, re-exporting and re-importing to see if that resolves the issues.
- When a known good copy is uploaded, everyone on the team needs to stock up their inventory with all the available assets and content.

Opensim - UC Bookstore & Content
- Chris got the vendor script that Joel was working before he left working, need to install vendors in the UC Bookstore
- Brad will get his and Joel's boxed items into the vendors when Chris gets them up
- Alex will need to box his animations before they can be put in the vendor
- Chris needs to find the Photoshop template for the boxes and send to Alex
- Chris will eventually have the new students work on the reboxing and reorganizing process.

Opensim - Allergy Walk
- Chris gave the demo to Bob Esch from Greer Laboratories (potential funder) on Tuesday, the demo went very well, they were very excited about the possibilities of the Opensim platform
- Estelle sent some additional images of the ragweed plants and pollen molecules, basically she wanted to know if things could look a little less cartoony
- Chris sent information about using higher res images, it turns out there's a limitation in the viewer that images can only be 1024x1024, so to use higher rez images we will need to slice the image into smaller pieces and paste it across multiple prims.
- The next Allergy Walk demo is on Sunday, March 4 at 11:30 somewhere downtown, the presentation to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. More details forthcoming soon.
- Brad will work on incroporating some of Estelle's new images by then.

UC Second Life


POC-CENT Project
- Matt is getting ready to put in the beep sounds
- We'll do walkthrough by the end of today to see current progress
- We'll need to tweak some of the delays for the new dialogues
- The new questions for the ventilator are implemented, but the shock part not yet implemented
- Matt is waiting on our "clear" recordings to add to the simulation
- Discovered that we can't have multiple animations int he same function, one animation at a time, so might need to do a temp rez or use transparency..
- Alex will finish changing the RR waves for scenes 2 - 4.5 to the more pointed wave form
- Alex recreated the CPR animation using the correct posture with the body moving instead of the arms
- Next demo is scheduled for next Wednesday 2/15 @ 9AM, Dr Lenz is coming to Zimmer Hall, Chris will use Brad's machine UCSIM007
- Alex caught a prim emergency on the POCCENT region, we were down to 12 prims. We all logged in and cleaned up extraneous materials and averted the immediate crisis, but will need to be very very careful about prim use moving forward.

Augmented Reality


- Brad has done some research on the JUNAIO app http://www.junaio.com/develop/
- Works for IOS and Android phones
- Location based GPS, Image based markers, or ID QR code type markers
- It's free, you use your server and connect to their back end and then you create a "channel", put all the content on your server and then people us the JUNAIO app to view your content.
- The open API uses XML
- Would like to have a demo of this tech in time for the UCIT Sr Staff meeting


=

=

January 27, 2012

In Attendance: Ayan (Took Notes), Matt, Brad, Alex, and Chris

General Project News

New Computers
- Chris to look into getting Maya license

New Hires
- Daryl to start working waiting for business to give him ok
- 3 Interviews for Programmer/System Admin - 2 Positions Available

Drupal Logo
- Alex has no update (On hold for POCCENT)

UC Opensim
Performance
- Wanting to see Max Number of Users
- Fleep Grid about 15
Avatars
      • Ayan making Photos for Wiki and Websites
      • Ayan to make Cut Outs
        • ucopensim.wikispaces.com/Starter+Avatars
        • Ayan to make list of Names Avatars
          • Before Next Allergen Demo
    • Allergen Demo
      • Brad Finished Textures
        • Waiting on Maya to Sculpt
      • Chris met Brad Yesterday for 2nd and 3rd Level Configuration Ideas


    • OSU
  • Unity/3D JIBE
      • Waiting for new hire
      • Help with Installation and Understand Program
  • Kinect/Augmented Reality
  • POCCENT
    • Next Meeting moved to Tuesday 31st, 9 AM
    • Changes
      • Texture on CVC to not change Sides
        • Change Text Instead
      • All Patient Charts and Ventilator to be changed
    • One X-Ray Change in Scene 2
    • Ventilator in Crash Cart need Functionality Changes
      • Matt to Document the Code
    • Scene 7
      • After they check leads, and choose 200 Jules Crash Cart should open
      • Texture 1, 2 s delay, Texture 2, 2 s delay, Texture 3, then Shock
        • Showing Defibrillator is Charging
        • Patient is being shocked
      • Alex Working on Animations
        • Animation should before Dialogue
        • Nurse Models to shock Patient (the Actor)
          • Everyone to do voice Acting
          • Not Phantom Paddles
            • For Now
          • Patient Monitor Textures for Alex to Work on
    • See Poccent Notes

January 20, 2012


In Attendance: Chris, Matt, Alex (Brad and Ayan absent)

General Project News
- Three new Macs arrived for student workstations, Brad and Alex worked to install the software and update the software installation list on the team wiki.
- Many software apps that were lagging on the old machines are running much more smoothly now.

Student Positions - Chris
- Nathan Erickson left the team in December, Brad will be leaving at the end of this quarter.
- Interviews for the graphic design position to replace Brad's position were completed and the candidate accepted the position. We're waiting on his hiring paperwork to come through to get his start date.
- Phone interviews for the programmer and sysadmin positions are ongoing (we had a ton of applications), Chris hopes to have final candidates selected for in person interviews to be scheduled next week (hopefully on Friday).

Second Life - POCCENT Update - Chris
- Following our demonstration to the medical faculty, Dr. Lenz and Vignesh sent a huge list of updates and changes to the simulation.
- Chris incorporated many of the changes into the script breakdown document, but some changes are pending final decisions by Dr Lenz.
- Items we are waiting on include: final design of the patient chart (plus data changes), final design of the ventilator, new xrays, and input on the new defibrillator screen.
- Chris met with Alex and Matt to go over some of the changes and updates that we must complete before the next demo
- Alex/Matt - need corresponding patient monitor "beep" added to Scene 2 and beyond
- Alex/Matt - change RR wave to a more pointed wave for Scenes 2 through 4.5
- Brad - CVC placement should switch sides, possibly in the neck (Chris thinks this will be hard with the model, need to discuss with Brad)
- Chris - All patient charts will need to be re-done with new template, they want to go back to named tabs instead of numbered (!!)
- Chris/Brad/Matt - many parts of the dialogue were edited, Matt will need to replace text in the simulation, Chris and Brad to re-record audio parts
- Chris/Matt - Scene 5, Dr Lenz wants to completely change the way the ventilator looks (texture) and functions. Pending feedback from Dr Lenz.
- All - Review Dr. Lenz's notes on the animation for Scene 7, Matt to write out breakdown in the script document, Alex and others to work on animations.
- Chris/Matt - Adding a defibrillator to the Crash Cart control panel button. Pending feedback from Dr. Lenz.
- Matt - Delete Scene 8 entirely from the simulation
- Matt - Delete Objective 7 from Scene 9

Important Dates - Next Internal POCCENT Review: Feb 3rd (time TBD)
Important Dates - Next External Project Demo to Med Faculty: March 9th @ 2PM in 7879 CARE Bldg


Drupal Team Logo Update - Alex
- They had two websites, one of which the needed a background texture which Alex already provided
- For the other, they want Alex to design a mock up of a new web design for the page template
- Alex is not clear on the deadline for this work, but will prioritize POCCENT work first, and then move to the website template

Open Server/System Update - Chris
- Chris resolved some networking problems on the grid, the NOC had not enabled some of the ports we had requested, this took nearly a week to resolve.
- Chris installed Vivox voice service on the server which enables Skype like communication across the grid
- Chris replaced all of the ground textures on all the sims to use the same textures as the main campus
- Chris wrote an Acceptable Use Policy for Opensim and added it to the Estate Covenant for the system
- Chris is waiting on the new sysadmin hire to proceed with getting security certificate for the opensim server. Also need to find a way to encrypt account information.

Opensim - Avatars - Ayan
- No update this week, Ayan is out of the office.

Opensim Project - Allergen Walk Update - Matt & Brad
- Brad created a ragweed model based on the images and data that Dr. Bernstein sent
- Brad will need to retexture the ragweed to remove the white outline from the branches.
- Brad created some signage and a teleport box to allow the user to jump up to a room displaying the pollen magnified
- Matt terraformed the entire region and added a lake, mountains, foliage, and forest area
- Matt added particle effects to simulate falling pollen
- Chris needs to tell Dr Bernstein that we're almost ready to schedule the demo

Opensim - Potential Customer Leads - Chris
- We were contacted by a representative of ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) who wanted more information about our Opensim hosting. Chris met with them this week and answered their questions, they were taking the info back to the SIGVE committee and will report back on if they wish to proceed.
- A professor from Ohio State University requested information about our Opensim hosting, Chris scheduled a voice conference for next week.
- Chris is scheduled to travel to Bowling Green State University on February 10th to help them install Opensim on their campus servers.
- A Clermont College professor sent an email inquiring about Second Life and Opensim workshop. Chris to follow up.

Unity/Jibe Update - Chris
- Chris is waiting until the new sysadmin student is hired to do the installation since we want that person to start from the ground floor
- Chris met with the Reaction Grid team and discussed our server set up, we're basically ready to install when the new student starts
- Brad will install the UnityPro software on one of the new Macs

Kinect Update - Alex, Matt
- Brad got some GUI tools that he's testing for use with the Kinect
- Waiting on the installation of UnityPro and JIBE to continue with the Kinect development

Augmented Reality Update - Alex, Brad
- No update this week, Brad is out of the office.



December 2, 2011

Attending: Chris, Matt, Alex, Brad

General News:
Brad needs to train Matt and Alex on Unity and Kinect development.
Website needs blog post from Matt, other than that it's pretty much done.
Web server needs a security certificate. Also need to find a way to encrypt account information.
We have a request from Bowling Green University to install OpenSim on their own server.
We've done a demo with Dr. Bernstein which went well. Chris sent a proposal to the Dr. Bernstein.
We were contacted by an outside business with help on working with Unity and Kinect. Brad will show them how the Kinect works.
Everyone needs to put on the calendar what days they may take off for the holidays. Submit the fall quarter schedules as well.
The Drupal team has requested our assistance in making a Drupal logo for their website.

Hiring:
We will have two positions open. Looking for one graphic designer and one programmer.
Application - http://www.jobsatuc.com
Position Number - 2110827-ses


POCCENT:
POCCENT wants changes to scene changes to scene 7.
Add animations, add more "urgent" sounding dialogue.
May have to create a machinima for this scene if we can't get good animations for mannequins.


OpenSim:
Brad will try to make sure we have working version of both male and female mannequins.


Augmented Reailty:
Alex will create a simple demo showing augmented reality using Flash.

November 4, 2011

Attending: Chris, Ayan, Brad, Alex, Matt

General News:

Name Change: UC Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments.
Team Trainging Wiki: Alex still to finish the animation overide guide.
Chris needs to schedule a meeting with Nathan.
Put exam times and vacation times on calendar.

MS Kinect:

Brad has downloaded wrapper and made the client server connection.

Mesh Uploads in SL and OpenSim:

-Brad successfully uploaded a mesh file in SL using the new UCSL Mesh account.

OpenSim:

Not a happy camper.
-Will have to wipe the database again since MySQL will not allow for international users.
-MySQL bug http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=4541
-Ayan may work on clothing and skins for the new avatars while Chris works on the server.
-Must have groups and permissions functioning fro use of the students.
-Brad made a Mac Application for the hacked version of the SL viewer.
-Chris needs to package a Windows version of Brads hacked viewer.

POCCENT:

-POCCENT wants simulation done by this month for beta testing.
-Alex to find a EKG beep SFX.
-Chris will give Alex PSD templates for the traning simulations.
-Alex to look into how Puppeteer looks.
-Alex finished the new textures for the Pulse Wave and the Respiratory Rate.

Unity3D:

-Chris will talk with Don about using Jibe.
-Chris will email John for more details on how to set up Jibe on our own server.



October 28, 2011

Attending: Chris, Ayan, Brad, Alex, Matt

General Project News

Name Change & New Website: Chris still working on name change for our unit and a mission statement/description of services.
- Our main website will be located at http://ucsim.uc.edu/blog and we'll need to move the information from the UCSL website over once we've finished with the site design.
- Ayan will be developing some options for branding for our web and virtual world assets and she's finished reviewing the UC Branding guidelines to ensure we're in compliance. - - Chris installed IIS, PHP, and Fast-CGI in preparation for installing the web based opensim modules and we'll use WordPress for the site CMS.

Team Training Wiki: Alex still needs to update training Wiki sections for HUDs and Animation Overriders.

MS Kinect:
- Brad met with Professor Chamberland from Industrial Design in DAAP and demoed the Kinect to his class and P&G liaisons.

Mesh Uploads in Second Life & OpenSim:
- Brad and Alex tested mesh exports from 3DS Max and successfully imported them with textures into OpenSim with the hacked SL viewer.
- Chris is filing a ticket with Linden Lab for SL Mesh issue.

OpenSim:
- Chris could not install the module add-on abd nay need to re-install mysql.
- Chris set up regions for Dr. Tangs students to import meshes.
- Ayan made a variety of new character sketches for OpenSim avatars.

October 14, 2011

Attending: Chris, Ayan, Brad, Alex, Nathan, Matt

General Project News

Name Change & New Website: Chris still working on name change for our unit and a mission statement/description of services.
- Our main website will be located at http://ucsim.uc.edu and we'll need to move the information from the UCSL website over once we've finished with the site design.
- Ayan will be developing some options for branding for our web and virtual world assets and she's finished reviewing the UC Branding guidelines to ensure we're in compliance. - - Chris installed IIS, PHP, and Fast-CGI in preparation for installing the web based opensim modules and we'll use WordPress for the site CMS.

Team Training Wiki: Alex still needs to update training Wiki sections for HUDs and Animation Overriders.

Unity 3D: Brad is continuing to evaluate Unity3D as an alternative development platform for cases when Opensim or Second Life are not suitable options.
- Chris scheduled a demo of JIBE, ReactionGrid's implementation of Unity3D. We will be meeting with John Lester aka Pathfinder on 10/28/11 @ 2PM - connection details TBA.
- Brad has made a training wiki guide for Unity 3D with information he's discovered during his evaluation..

MS Kinect: Brad got new wrappers installed.
- Brad met with Professor Chamberland from Industrial Design in DAAP and provided training on using the MS Kinect for motion capture and animation. Dr Chamberlain will be meeting with representatives at P&G next Wednesday for the design project re: Boeing airplane bathrooms. Brad will continue to consult with that project.

Mesh Uploads in Second Life & OpenSim:
- Chris added the details for using the Mesh avatar to the team wiki and registered with Linden Lab to be approved for mesh upload. Account still needs money added to it (Chris) and tested to ensure the mesh uploading actually works (Brad).
- Brad went through the different 3rd party viewers. So far the only viewers that work are Kirstens and Viewer 3. Brad was unable to locate the v9 Kirsten viewer, Chris will check with Peter Miller at Open University (UK) to see if he has a copy we can evaluate.

UC OpenSim Service

- Chris upgraded the opensim server to 0.7.2 today, http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.7.2_Release
- This version supports MOAP, Mesh, and a new subset of code for creating NPCs (non player characters)
- Nathan is still learning about the grid mode architecture and his ROBUST install is throwing errors. Chris will meet with him next week to discuss.
- Nathan will look into the NPC code after finishing training on the grid installation process.
- Alex needs to go through the UC OpenSim campus and check the place for modeling, linking, and script errors.
- Goal is to hold next team meeting in Open Sim.

Potential New Projects (OpenSim):
- Allergy Visualization, Dr. Jonathan Bernstein: Waiting on opensim server installation - Chris to schedule a meeting with him soon.
- Architecture studio, Dr. Tang: Brad uploaded Dr. Tang's test file to opensim server and it looked great. Now all we need is a viewer that meets all the criteria and to get the virtual campus and new website ready for use by Dr Tang and his students.
- University Hospital: Lactation Specialist wants to explore use of Kinect for breast feeding simulation. Chris to follow up.
- Environmental Science: Prof. Stuart is interested in environmental safety simulation (e.g. mine safety). Brad will be the contact for this project.

POCCENT Project

- Chris and Matt collaborated to create a breakdown of the HUD Script that describes what the script does step by step. We are now using this to indicate our progress on implementing changes. See the color key at the top to see who is responsible for which assets/tasks.
- Chris re-did all of the artwork for the HUD faceplate and buttons, including over 300 new texture assets for the various display prims and equipment screens.
- This week's meeting with POCCENT did not go well due to technical problems with the meeting facility, so we didn't get very much good feedback. However, the POCCENT team was extremely happy with all the new artwork.
- Chris, Brad, and Ayan have finished the audio recordings for the narration - 117 recordings so far, Matt is currently working on implementing them in the HUD script.
- Matt is working on inserting checks to make sure the user completes a required step in the simulation before the simulation will proceed.
- POCCENT wants a Main Menu with the ability to see a list of all simulations available and chapters to be able to jump forwards or backwards through simulations.
- Chris explained the texture pre-load hack to Matt and created the prim set we can use when the textures are finalized.
- Chris still needs to review the HUD training script.
- Ayan has finished with the mannequins in the hospital, still needs to switch out the male nurse and female attending physician in MICU Room 1.
- Brad placed the 3 mannequin nurses for the CPR scene, still needs a good hair prim. Ayan has some male pattern baldness skins and maybe a hair piece to use.
- Chris needs to check the prim permissions in the POCCENT hospital.
- Alex completed all the patient monitor textures (nearly 60 textures) but the POCCENT team had feedback that requires us to regenerate them all with thicker lines. Alex is almost finished with Scene 8 of the new set.
- POCCENT also requested a new A-line be added to the monitor and sent a source file as an example. Alex is including the new line (red) in the patient monitor texture set.
- Based on feedback from Monday's meeting, Chris regenerated all of the Xray textures with the requested change, and changed the Locations button icon with a new globe per BJ's request.



October 7, 2011

Attending: Chris, Ayan, Matt, Brad, Alex


General Project News:
Name Change:
Name Change to reflect more variety -- Virtual Environments, Simulations, & Game Research.
New name and mission statement.
Ayan to do new branding, must review branding guidelines on UC web page .
Training Wiki:
Alex still needs to update Training Wiki on how to personalize HUD/ Character Animations


MS Kinect:
Working on Matt’s Computer and Brad’s laptop.
Brad has found resources for further progress and has yet to put into play.


Unity3D:

Brad- Issue with Licenses/ Both have Free Versions (SmartFox has 20 free clients – Photon can host 100 users at one time)
Unity uses both, but either may work.
http://www.exitgames.com/Photon/Unity
May need to look into alternate hardware
Process to be documented


Mesh:
Chris created SecondLife account for mesh. Must go to Chris if wanting to use, stocked with Linden dollars, but no purchase should be made while on account.


OpenSim:
All networking issues were resolved. Wordpress was installed; Microsoft ISS was installed, etc. Webpages need to be created and customized for user creation.
Use campus OAR file for projects. New files need to be fixed from Second Life mass linking. Alex to do a campus sweep of tweaking and unlinking.
Ayan to sketch new default avatars for OpenSim UC Users. 5 female, male, and nongenders with diversity.
Currently looking for a 3rd Party Viewer that Allows Media on a Prim, Uploading Mesh, and Grid Selection.
POCCENT:
Matt:
Complete: New High Res Textures in HUD, More Fade-In Scenes (Yet to upload Fade-In Textures), New Look to HUDs, Mannequins have no bugs now
To-Do: Needs to add X-ray, Ventilator, Crash Card Implementing Codes, Go through Scripts Scene by Scene so any changes are in proper order and synchronization, Still need to make scripts to interact with Patient model and HUD
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x-wH5GkEWixIPmp-et4DxRQw_LhR9G9YwNWBt3fOEko/edit?hl=en_US
Scene 7 and 8 needs fixing
Either a prim animation or a machinma for CPR, shocking, etc. Prim Animation is unfavorable because time and script heavy.
Record of Audio parts soon to come. Ayan to read for Nurse Ellen, Brad for Male Nurses, Chris as Attending Physician.
Document breaks in Texts, With Fade In and Fade Outs with time consistencies
Ayan- Mannequins Complete and in Posing
Alex- Finished Texturing
Chris- Needs to Review Alex’s Training Script
Potential New Projects (OpenSim):-
-Allergy Visualization, Dr. Jonathan Bernstein: Waiting on opensim server installation.
-Architecture studio, Dr. Tang: Waiting on opensim server installation.
-University Hospital: Lactation Specialist wants to explore use of Kinect for breast feeding simulation. Chris to follow up.
-Environmental Science: Prof. Stuart is interested in environmental safety simulation (e.g. mine safety). Brad will be the contact for this project.

September 30, 2011

Attending: Chris, Ayan, Matt, Brad, Alex

General Project News:
New students:
Completed training, everyone now has all software and have been assigned to projects.
Matt is working on the POCCENT HUD,
Ayan is working on POCCENT mannequins, and Nathan is learning Opensim.


Training Wiki:
Everyone reviewed Ayan's new screenshots for the social profiles and the changes all looked good.

UC FileSpace:
Alex and Brad have finished all work for Jane and Ellen.


MS Kinect:
Chris will talk with Don on getting a tv for the kinect.
Brad will send Alex the Kinect error in an email. Currently reinstalled driver and software with the kinect. Successfully "tested" FAAST remapping key binds and moving the avatar with body motions.


Unity3D:
Chris met with some people and they have agreed that Unit3D would be a good thing to start exploring. Still looking into Unity3D.
Brad is looking at the development process of Unity. Currently progressing through tutorials with unity.
Brad's first impressions, Unity its a viable option to use and develop simulations allowing users to explore using their browsers.

Chris sent information regarding JIBE.


Mesh:
So far the best way to go about uploading meshes is Chris will make an avatar in which everyone will be able to upload meshes. One will have to ask for the password to upload, when done Chris will have to change the password for the avatar.
Brad, Used SL beta Mesh to uploaded an 3dxstudio max export successful, the test model looks great.

OpenSim:
All base software is installed.
Running vr 0.7.2.rc2 with devo wifi working
Resolved networking issues, Sever works on and off campus.
still need to customize defaults, graphic design work in the future

Loaded latest Oar file.
Durrening Export roughly %50 of SL content works with opensim

Figure out what to do about file sharing.
Dolphin 3 is another 3rd party viewer that supports mesh.
Still looking for consistently reliable 3rd party viewer that supports the opensims media on a prim, that displays and uploads of mesh, grid selector.

POCCENT:
Ayan has finished two textures on the receptionist.
Ayan 6 medical staff and 8 medical mannequins have been texture, clothed, with hair
Need to figure out how to modularity advance the scenario
Brad will look into what happens when a texture is applied to various mannequin sizes.
Chris has recorded the female nurse audio.
Matt has added the nurse voices for scene one.
Matt Updated script to include new scenes and optimized comments, ready to test the switch code
Brad will change the chest texture to show no hospital gown and just the EKG in scene 2.
Alex is finishing up on the new Patient Monitor animation.


Potential New Projects (OpenSim):
- Allergy Visualization, Dr. Jonathan Bernstein: Waiting on opensim server installation.
- Architecture studio, Dr. Tang: Waiting on opensim server installation.
- University Hospital: Lactation Specialist wants to explore use of Kinect for breast feeding simulation. Chris to follow up.
- Environmental Science: Prof. Stuart is interested in environmental safety simulation (e.g. mine safety). Brad will be the contact for this project.




September 23, 2011

Attending: Chris, Ayan, Matt, Brad, Alex

General Project News:
Student Positions: General UCit security practices. Don't share passwords. Lock your computers when walking away from you computers.

Training Wiki:
Everyone look at Ayan's update for the social prfiles for feedback.

UC FileSpace:
Alex and Brad have finished with the icons.

MS Kinect:
Chris will talk with Don on getting a tv for the kinect.
Brad will send Alex the Kinect error in an email.

Unity3D:
Chris met with some people and they have agreed that Unit3D would be a good thing to start exploring. Still looking into Unity3D.
Brad is looking at the development process of Unity.

Mesh:
So far the best way to go about uploading meshes is Chris will make an avatar in which everyone will be able to upload meshes. One will have to ask for the password to upload, when done Chris will have to change the password for the avatar.

OpenSim:
Chris has gotten the server nearly working. The PSU isn't powerful enough but the OS is installed and the sever is connected to the internet.
Figure out what to do about file sharing.
Dolphin 3 is another 3rd party viewer that supports mesh.

POCCENT:
Ayan has finished two textures on the receptionist.
Brad will look into what happens when a texture is applied to various mannequin sizes.
Chris has recorded the female nurse audio.
Matt has added the nurse voices for scene one.
Brad will change the chest texture to show no hospital gown and just the EKG in scene 2.
Alex will design the new Patient Monitor animation.

September 12, 2011

In Attendance: Chris, Joel, Alex, Brad, Ayan, Matt, Nathan

General Project News

Student Positions:
Welcome to our three new team members, Ayan Daniels (SL: Ayan Deluxe), Nathan Erickson (SL: Ericksnn), and Matt NeCamp (SL: Matthaus Highwater)! New employees have been working on training for the past week. They have completed Chapter 5 on the training wiki and are moving onto the Ivory Tower. New employees will help update the training guide once they get a hang of the interface. New students will install photoshop on their machines once media discs arrive.

Training Wiki:
- Ayan will update social profiles page on the training wiki uniform to our support site.

UC FileSpace:
- Alex and Brad have completed the majority of icons for the UC Filespace site.

MS Kinect:
- Found an adapter to stream gameplay through the computer monitor but it costs $150, need to consider the option of purchasing a TV instead. Chris will speak with Don about this.

Exploring Unity3D Platform:
For some projects, neither Second Life nor Opensim are a good choice due to steep learning curve. Chris wants to explore Unity3D as an alternative development platform and will be scheduling a demo of Reaction Grid's "JIBE" Unity3D system. Date and location TBA.

Second Life

Basic vs Advanced Viewer
Brad and Alex reported that nearly everything on the UC campus is non-function in the new Basic view, including our central landing point and the new user orientation. Our options are either to redesign everything or to communicate to users that they need to use the Advanced viewer to fully utilize the virtual UC campus.
- Chris will update the account set up webpage to emphasize using the advanced viewer.
- Brad will make billboards requiring the use of advanced viewer for the start location and both sides of orientation.

Using Mesh in Second Life
- The development of Kirsten's Viewer has been put on hold so testing using this viewer will also be put on hold.
- The hacked SL beta viewer lost the ability to upload mesh when logged into Fleepgrid.
- The price of uploading mesh seems random but is still being developed.
- Mesh requires payment info on file so Chris will create one master mesh account that all students will use to upload mesh files. All L$ upload costs associated with uploading mesh on this account MUST be tracked on the corresponding spreadsheet.

POC-CENT Project Cardiac Arrest Simulation:
- Diagnosis removed from patient chart.
- Brad needs to make another texture with the EKG without the CVC.
- EKG, CVC and IV all lead to the box behind the patient bed.
- Joel will either make the patient alpha during the simulation or bury him in the floor.
- For scenes 4 and 5 put oxygent cord and ventilator in the floor or sky and put out the new ventilator with mask on patient.
- We need to find out ventilator controls
- Alex will start drafting a script for a simulation tutorial for HUD understanding.
- Next POCCENT meeting is 9/26, would like to have at least some of the audio recorded for the next demo with Dr. Lenz.
- Timeline for completion of simulation is end of October. Dr. Lenz has received IRB approval to establish two groups of volunteer students, a control group who will receive traditional instruction about the subject matter and an experimental group that will also receive access to the Second Life simulation. Pre and post test of student understanding of severe sepsis and cardiac arrest procedures should show whether the Second Life simulation is effective in improving learning outcomes.
- Long term goal for POCCENT is a) publish about our findings b) if positive outcome, secure renewal funding c) if positive outcome, create additional scenario adding technologies that don't yet exist to show how new tech can improve patient outcomes

Potential New Projects (Second Life):
- Career Development Center: A staff member is working on her graduate degree and wants to research the efficacy of using Second Life to deliver career guidance and professional development.
- UC Counseling Center: Rebecca and Nzinga may want to update the content in the Mindful Meditation area. Alex will be the contact for this project.


OpenSim

Statewide OpenSim Grid & Status of OLN:
- George doesn't know what will happen with the OLN merger but suggested that the statewide OpenSim grid may still be able to get funding. Chris to prepare some documentation and a proposal, with possible meeting time in November to discuss with George and potentially other OH-TECH staff.

UC OpenSim Server
- UC's opensim server is finally here but the server needs to be racked still, Chris and Gurinder went over to install the hardware on Friday but the rack had little space and the cable management was such a mess they decided to hold off until Steve Crump returned. Chris will contact Steve this week to schedule a time to install the server and also needs to re-submit the GetIT request for the networking.

Potential New Projects (OpenSim):
- Allergy Visualization, Dr. Jonathan Bernstein: Waiting on opensim server installation.
- Architecture studio, Dr. Tang: Waiting on opensim server installation.
- University Hospital: Lactation Specialist wants to explore use of Kinect for breast feeding simulation. Chris to follow up.
- Environmental Science: Prof. Stuart is interested in environmental safety simulation (e.g. mine safety). Brad will be the contact for this project.



August 29, 2011


General Project News


- Chris back from vacation. Everyone reported on their progress on To-Do items while she was away.

- Brad reviewed the training manual and found some broken links that he's working on replacing.

- Alex to check with ECSS staff to see if they received the equipment needed to secure the Kinect installation.

- Brad wasn't able to work on Mary Jane's machine that Chris used to have because he needed the password. The graphics card on the second machine wasn't powerful enough to run Second Life.

- Brad will document the software we use and have installed on the team wiki under the "Software List" link in the Support Team section.

- Joel started to comment out the current code for the POCCENT HUD.

- UC FileSpace: Brad and Alex assisted Jane and Ellen with button graphic design and some logos, they also wanted some general design ideas for their website templates. Alex and Brad are working on some icon development and template layouts and will get that to them within the next month.

Second Life News


- Chris talked about some of the announcements made at the Second Life Community Convention that will likely impact our work in Second Life. Chris asked everyone to review some of the major recap announcements from the convention at http://www.scoop.it/t/second-life-community-convention-2011.

- Mesh upload has been rolled out to the grid, but not everyone on our team has permission to upload mesh. LL is requiring payment information on file and for users to go through an IP tutorial before you can get access to upload mesh. Chris suggested that everyone create a paypal account with your avatar email address and use that as your payment information in Second Life and see if that works.

- Second Life also introduced social web profiles, we'll need to update that section of the team wiki. Joel will update the wiki with new screenshots and instructions. We also need to monitor our profiles to make sure customers don't try to use them as a place to get support. Chris doesn't want support requests coming through channels that can't be monitored, so we may need to add a line in our profiles that for support please email the secondlife@uc.edu address.

- Linden Lab also introduced a new "Basic" viewer that does not have most of the functions of the regular viewer, including the sidebar, inventory, etc. We need to log into the new Basic viewer and evaluate all of our content from this "Basic" view to make sure that our stuff works for new users who will be coming in on the lighter viewer. Alex will review our starting point, Brad the new user tutorial, and Joel the POCCENT content to find out what does and doesn't work.

Second Life Projects


POCCENT Project:
We're waiting on several things from the POCCENT team.

- The new patient chart with multiple pages, we never received the file from Joe
- Relevant review of systems (2nd page)
- The results of the ABG and the updated ABG (3rd page)
- X-ray source images
- The source graphics for the patient monitor that includes the MAP, POCCENT team was going to send the exact numbers for each point in the scenario
- Source image for the ventilator controls that the user will need to select the correct answer to the question "What is the most appropriate initial ventilator order?"


- We ran through the current simulation, Chris thinks the delay for the first nurse to speak to the user is too long, it isn't clear that you can click on her to start the simulation. Joel says this is because we've run through the simulation before, a first time user would get prompted right away.

- Chris reminded Joel to double check all of the incorrect answers for the very first question since something in there was not correct at our last two meetings and BJ has remarked upon it twice.

- Joel will change the teleport destination to the MICU so that the person lands directly in the MICU room where the next part of the simulation takes place.

- Chris loves the new fade in/fade out to show the passage of time. Good job Joel!

- After the first fade, when we come back into focus the patient should no longer have the hospital gown on and should instead be showing the chest leads and central catheter. Patient's eyes are still open and he is conscious at this point, but the monitor should also show the new MAP readouts.

- A second fade needs to be inserted before the patient is intubated so that we don't have to animate the intubation process. At that point the patient should be unconscious.

- We need to go through the latest script and make sure all of the prompts and questions are following along with the new changes.

- Alex needs more details about the MAP to make those changes to the monitor, as well as the specific values for each part of the simulation.

- Brad will figure out how to model the intubation for the patient after the 3rd (?) scene fade.

OLN in Second Life:
- While Chris was on vacation, an email came through announcing that the Ohio Learning Network, which funds part of our Second Life work, is being merged with other existing state funded consortia into a large technical group called OH-TECH. Chris is not yet sure what this means for OLN's Second Life region, which has been funded in advance through 2012, or for the work we perform for them during the school year. More to come on this.

Counseling Center:
- Chris sent invoice for annual billing before she left for vacation and will follow up with the business office to see if that got paid.

- Rebecca indicated that their new director is interested in refreshing some of the content in their virtual counseling center so we need to schedule a meeting with them to find out what needs to be updated. Alex will be the point person for the counseling center.

Theresa Aberle Master's Thesis Research:
- Before Chris left for vacation, Theresa Aberle at the Career Development Center sent an email requesting a meeting to review some research methods in Second Life for her master's thesis. Chris is scheduled to meet with her next week.

Preparing for Fall Classes:
- Chris will double check all of the classrooms and the areas in the OneStop & Registration office to make sure everything is set up for the start of fall classes.

OpenSim Projects


- OLN/Ohio OpenSim Grid: Chris had a conference call with George Steele and Wilson Burroughs at OLN to discuss what OLN's abolishment means for the statewide grid project. George basically said he wasn't sure what funding or authority he would have in the new organization and said everything was pretty much up in the air at this point, but he felt the OpenSim grid project was worthy of pursuing. He suggested that Chris work on creating a proposal that explained the rationale for the project, demonstrating how it can save the state money, benefit professional development for faculty, instructional benefit for students, and the other advantages gained by collaboration in the state. If anyway to work "job creation" into the proposal, all the better. Suggested we meet in October/November and try to get funding for the project by January 1, 2012. Chris forwarded some information following the conference call and will need to poll those who said they were interested last year to see if that's still the case. At this point, we've dithered so long on the statewide grid that many schools have already implemented their own standalone or grid installations. More to come.

- UC OpenSim: Chris needs to find out the current status of the UC Opensim server.

- Architecture Studio: We're currently waiting on the OpenSim server to be installed.

- Allergy Visualization: We're currently waiting on the results of his grant application and for the Opensim server to be installed.





August 8, 2011


In Attendance: Chris, Joel, Alex, Brad

General Project News

Chris out of office: Chris will be out of the office from 8/10 - 8/28/11, returning on Monday, 8/29/11. Everyone has been briefed on all current projects and team leads assigned to each customer, all customers have been notified.

Student Positions: New student workers are completing paperwork with HR, 2 have completed paperwork, 2 haven't. If their paperwork is completed by the time Chris returns from the Second Life conference, she may come in for a day during her vacation to get their accounts created and get them started. They can begin with the training manual and Joel and Brad will be responsible for overseeing their training. Initial assigments: Nathan will be doing programming for the POC-CENT project and needs to get up to speed on the HUD as soon as his initial training is completed, and Robert will be assigned to OpenSim system administration. Ayan and Matt are both graphic design students and can start assisting with the modeling and artwork for POC-CENT when their training is finished.

Kinect: Waiting on ECSS to receive locks to secure the equipment, installation will have to wait until Chris returns from vacation.

Downtime Objectives: In addition to standing project work, Chris asked the team to do the following tasks in her absence.

- Make sure all of the office computers are ready for the new students and have all the appropriate software installed.
- Brad will reformat Mary Jane's computers and install bootcamp and all basic software.
- Brad will document the software we currently have installed on the wiki, two lists, base software that all computers have, and second list of any special programs that are only installed on certain machines (Maya, Poser, etc)
- Review the new social profiles in SL and document them in the training manual
- Review the training manual before the new students start to make sure it is up to date
- Make sure to double check time punches, if you miss a time punch while Chris is away, email don.rainwater@uc.edu
- Double check POC-CENT time on wiki and Google Docs

UC FileSpace: Ellen and Jane have asked for assistance with some Photoshop work for UC FileSpace. Alex and Brad are available to assist them and will follow up with them this week.

Second Life Projects

Career Development Center: Theresa Aberle will be starting a new research project about using Second Life for providing career counseling to students. She is scheduled to meet with Chris at the end of August to discuss the parameters of the project.

Counseling Center: The Counseling Center has a new director who has approved the Center's continued presence in Second Life. Chris sent an invoice to the UCit Business Office to bill them for the next academic year's annual maintenance fee. Alex Davis will be the contact for this project while Chris is away.

POC-CENT Project: We met with the POC-CENT team on Monday morning for the special review session with Dr. Lenz. He was extremely pleased with our progress, and especially the animated patient monitor. He didn't realize we would be able to simulate the monitor with such accuracy and has decided to add some additional prompts and information to the scenario now that he sees what can be done with it. He also commented on how realistic the MICU facility was and felt that even the color of the walls and the placement of the equipment in the virtual room will help medical students be prepared for the real thing.

We demo'd the latest version of the control HUD and everyone agreed the new format and additions Joel made since the last review are working well. BJ and team will send an updated script with the new prompts and new X-rays and other graphics. Other changes include:

- Joel is going to change the teleport location
- Joel to add the "fade to black" transition screen between scenes
- X-Rays on the monitor and HUD should be blank until the prompt gives the cue
- Brad will upload an open eye patient texture
- Will make a slumped patient
- Everyone will send Joel texture files
- We need to remake the hospital bed, it should be flat for scene 5
- Alex will make the monitor taller to add a fourth data entry point, it will be red and show the MAP starting after the scene where the catheter is inserted
- POC-CENT will be sending us the screen for monitor,ventilator, patient charts, times, and X-Rays

When Chris returns, we will schedule a separate team meeting for Joel to give us all a walkthrough of the HUD code.

Our next major review session with Dr. Lenz is tentatively scheduled for 9/12/11 and he wants to have the simulation ready to demo at his next departmental staff meeting in mid October.

OpenSim Projects

OpenSim Server: The server is currently on order. Chris hopes it will arrive soon after she returns from vacation, our goal is still to have the server fully operational by the start of the school year. Robert Kuschel (new student) will be assigned to help with the OpenSim system administration. He should start his basic training with the Second Life project with everyone else, but if he finishes before Chris returns, Brad or Joel will start him on OpenSim training.

Architecture Studio: Joel will be the contact for Dr. Tang while Chris is away. We're currently waiting on the OpenSim server to be installed.

Allergy Visualization: Brad will be the contact for Dr. Bernstein while Chris is away. We're currently waiting on the results of his grant application and for the Opensim server to be installed.




August 01, 2011



Attending: Chris, Brad, Joel, Alex

Student Positions: There was a small problem with the applications but has been resolved.

Kinect: We have what we need except the locks. We ordered locks from ECSS to secure it.

Second Life: A new Second Life update has caused enough problems where people call it the "black plauge", textures are set to a black color. The black plaque has hit Fred. Sending Brad to clear his cache to fix SL for him.

POCCENT: Joe will be sending us textures for the patient chart and HUD to give us an understand of what is to be shown on screen.

MICU: All the walls need to be a pink color. Replace the current door script and replace it with Ryon's since it make the doors open automatically. Make a new script for the folding doors since the patient is assumed to be infectious and the room must be closed off. Move the teleport destination to the front of the nurses desk and make the passing of time more obvious. to the player. Chris still owes Brad the clothes for the mannequins. For scene 2 the patient needs to be in the the hospital gown and has a blanket over his lower half. For scene 3 the patient will have no gown with EKG machine hooked up to him with the blanket still on him. Alex needs to break up the animated texture into separate textures so they can change individually based on the player's actions.

Training: Vignesh is continuing his second life training.

Opensim: Hardware has been ordered. Chris has sent a proposal estimate to the allergy project.



July 25, 2011


In Attendance: Chris, Joel, Alex, Brad

General Project News


Student Positions: Everyone we offered a position accepted, and they've turned in their signed application. Chris will being formal hiring process this week and start the training process as soon as possible to ensure they have access and get a good introduction to the project.


Chris out of office in August: Chris will be on vacation so we need to layout tasks and things for new members to do while she is gone. (Use project boards like we have in the office to keep check on accomplishments)


Kinect: All parts received, Chris will talk with ECSS to find out about securing the equipment in some way so that it can't be stolen. Joel has played with the SDK at home and we have an idea of how to match motions to avatar gestures but need more detail from BJ about the expected simulation to know if this will work for what she had in mind.

Second Life: Linden Lab is rolling out the mesh import capability in limited regions starting in a few weeks. Brad has tested the process and we should have several models ready when the time comes.


POC-CENT Project
Cardiac Arrest Simulation:
- Met with the POC-CENT team this morning to review progress since our last meeting. They very much liked the new HUD design and layout, liked that it is now collapsable and in the center of the screen. The new code added to auto-detect a user's screen resolution worked on their laptops.
- Now that we have more details about the simulation, we need to work to translate their ideas into Second Life even if we don't fully understand all of the medical jargon. They don't understand the benefits and limitations of Second Life as well as we do, so wherever they have a "Decision" question, we should have a suggestion by Monday when we present our progress to the full team and Dr. Lenz.
- Urgent Care Center, Dr. Clark would like to see a hand sanitizer bottle added near the sink, personal protection equipment and face masks near right wall.
-MICU needs to be finished by next meeting. Alex made more gadgets for MICU back wall, it is finished but for the animation on the vital stats monitor and ventilator needs arm and tubes. Alex and Brad need to look ahead in the simulation to see other kinds of equipment that will soon be needed for the next phases of the simulation. For example, we need a squeeze bag (for breathing)
-Brad needs to put Mannequin patient with IV in MICU in room 1 and add male nurse, female doctor with masks and gloves (Green Scrubs)
-Chris added a crash cart to the MICU for the 5th question prompt.
-Joel will send .psd of patient chart to Joe, need to change the labeling to "Chief Complaint" and "Admitting Diagnosis"
-Joel can make XRay button invisible or have it say no data available if no orders have been taken, order of HUD buttons should be: Patient Chart, Xray, Ventilator, Crash Cart, Physician buttons. The patient chart font needs to be larger but they liked the new layout.

POC-CENT Hospital:
- Brad is still working on the hospital signage and maps
- Alex worked on door scripts, still need consistent door textures throughout the hospital.
- Made more progress on the CT Scan facility, need to add computers and additional doors but the overall layout of the facility and waiting area is done.
- Waiting area in the main hallway is finished.

Training: Vignesh's training started last week, Brad is working with him to learn the SL interface and will start building next week.

OpenSim
Hardware: Chris still needs to check with Don for updated timeline on when the OpenSim server will arrive.

Project Proposal: DAAP Architecture Studio with Dr. Ming Tang: Nothing new to report, waiting on the OpenSim server.

Project Proposal: Internal Medicine Immunology/Allergy Visualization, Dr. Jonathan Bernstein: Chris just got approval on the OpenSim cost model and will be sending Dr. Bernstein information today or tomorrow.

Assets for OpenSim: Chris started testing Alex's classroom animations, the avatar tilt problem looks to have been fixed. The lecture animation needs to be a little less.. animated.



July 18, 2011


Chris
Joel
Alex
Brad


General Project News

Student Positions: Offer letters were sent to our top candidates, if accepted, they will need to bring in their signed applications to start the formal hiring process.

Kinect: Some of the Kinect order has arrived including the stand and the XBox console. Still waiting for the rest of it to be delivered. Should arrive any day now. Related to the Kinnect, B.J. had mentioned using alternative control devices for input and training purposes. SL may not be detailed enough for certain simulations. Per Alex, the hands are not detailed enough for mimicking surgery. OpenSim would have the same drawbacks. However, we will need to look further into what kind of simulations they are thinking about.

POC-CENT Project

Cardiac Arrest Simulation:
- There is a new transcript for the POC-CENT simulation with additional prompts to be added to the scene.
- Chris has started setting up the CT Scan room.
- MICU-Brad added the drawer underneath the telephone.
- We will need to create signage and start thinking about getting all of the door textures to be consistent.
- Brad will make a blueprint of the hospital for visitors to view as well as the signage for different departments.
- Alex had worked on the doors, crash cart and ventilator, as well as the monitor on the wall.
- Chris would like to be finished with the MICU modeling by the meeting on Monday.
- Someone will need to replace the wall that has gone missing, also Dr. Lentz wanted all the interior walls to be the pink peachy color.
- Joel will look into altering the scripts for the new greeter nurse at the entrance of the Urgent Care.
- Brad has created a new model for the greeting nurse.
- Brad has also changed the nurse textures so they have no masks on and added an IV line. Brad will also fix the patient mannequin.

Training: Vignesh is scheduled for training on Thursday, 7/21 at 3PM.

OpenSim

Hardware: Chris needs to check with Don for updated timeline on when the OpenSim server will arrive.

Project Proposal: DAAP Architecture Studio with Dr. Ming Tang: We emailed Dr. Tang with the results of our testing to see if mesh would import properly into opensim, all seemed to go well. He is anxious to get started and has created a Second Life account to get more familiar with the interface. We're just waiting on the OpenSim server arrival to continue this project.

Project Proposal: Internal Medicine Immunology/Allergy Visualization, Dr. Jonathan Bernstein: Chris is waiting on approval of the OpenSim cost model to give Dr. Bernstein a quote.

Assets for OpenSim: Chris still needs to test Alex's classroom animations. (!)

OpenSim Installation at OARNet: Still waiting for news from OLN.

July 11, 2011


Chris
Joel
Alex

General

Got approval to order Xbox supplies.
Upgraded to word press 3.2 last week. Need to update the pricing information on website.

Student Position:

Completed interviews. Likely going to hire.

UC Campus:

Bookstore - get in habit of running by and cleaning up litter.
Library - clean up please.
Classrooms - clean up place.

POCCENT:

Meeting with POCCENT
MICU - change color on walls and crash cart, respiratory machine, patient cart needs keyboard, patient vital sign monitor over-sized.

Replace keyboards out in the tables with a transferable version.

Use button script.

· A major problem is the HUD clipping. Chris said that her team is working on coding so that SL automatically
recognizes screen resolution size.
· Dr. Lenz liked the patient chart, but the one that Chris showed later was better. He pointed out that it should
be a WBC of 29000 not 2900.
· The Crash Cart icon is a little small. It is very hard to read on a laptop screen.
· The patient chart and crash cart still clip with the local chat. It’s hard to see both at the same time.
· For the first prompt, instead of Colloid, it needs to be switched to Solumedrol
· Dr. Lenz’s first instinct was to click the graphics for the correct answer. Chris said it would be possible to
implement that further down the line.
· The prompts after selecting a wrong answer are incorrect. They need to be changed. Dr. Lenz is going to
give an updated scenario by this Friday hopefully.
· BJ brought up that it is very rushed from answering to transferring the patient to the MICU. Joe is going to
write a paragraph for after the correct answer is given explaining why the patient is being transferred.
· Dr. Clark brought up that there is no line into the patient. If there was a line from the IV, it would make the
scenario a little more realistic.
· Dr. Lenz thought that the MICU looked very good.
- The crash cart should be a little brighter red
- The walls of the MICU could be changed to the Peach-Pink color that they are in the MICU
· It was discussed of where the student should teleport to, settled to middle of MICU by nurse’s station. This
is where it is currently set up to do.
· In the MICU patient rooms, the patient monitor should be large enough that the students can see it without
zooming in. It may be possible to program it to be “live”. The monitor should show: ECG, Respiratory Rate,
Blood Pressure, Rhythm Strip, O2 Saturation, CVP.

We will meet in two and three weeks. The first meeting will be an overview of what Chris and her team have
accomplished from the updated scenario, and the second will be to show Dr. Lenz the updated progress.
Both meetings will be on Monday Mornings, at a 9:00 a.m. in 7870 CARE tentatively.

Brad - contact Vignesh Subbian to schedule for SL training.

Alex - send crash cart texture .psd file to joel.

Fix the floor texture.

Open Sim:

Don sent specs to UCit, server should be ordered by end of July.
Chris needs to test Alex's animation files.

Dr. Tang

May need to use smaller avatars to navigate through models. Go into mouseview to get rid of clipping issue.

Jonathan Bernstein - Allergy project

Writing up grant proposal and budget.

OLN

Contact Mark for update on installation progress.




June 16, 2011


Chair: Chris
Attendees:
Alex
Joel
Brad
Mary

At UCIT meeting this morning, UCIT's acting VP, Mike Lieberman, announced that the university is considering moving UCIT under a Provost or splitting off the academic unit and placing it under a Provost. The ongoing "top news" items for UCIT include the semester conversion & SAP upgrade.

Please continue to faithfully record your POCCENT hours. We may start billing more frequently, and it's important that the billable hours are current.

MICU development continues. Alex made doors, carts, and the toilet behind the curtain. Mary made a ventilator. Brad developed the sink & associated items.

We need to finish the MICU room, and build the nursing stations.

Joel is working on the HUD modifications. He has altered the scripts to fix the confusion we encountered last week. Now, when someone clicks on the patient chart in the HUD, he or she sees the patient chart. When someone clicks on the patient chart in the room, everyone sees the patient chart.

When the HUD is finished, we will design, build, & implement HUD training and simulation.

Dr. Lenz wants to add listen to heart and skin pinch test to the HUD.

Remember: We're going to have a cardiac arrest simulation in the MICU.

Alex will be learning Puppeteer.

Fred has a new PhD student joining the POCCENT team. Unlike Joe, he has no gaming experience or background using virtual environments. Mary will be helping him get started.

We are requesting new hardware for OpenSim & still plan to have it available for access (statewide) by the end of July.

Over the summer, we will be working thus:

60% Second Life Projects | 20% OpenSim | 20% anything related to virtual environments, including taking training

Kinect/Xbox order delayed for Don to check with upper management.

PC refresh order submitted: Chris is due to get a new PC.
==

==

May 26, 2011


- Student Worker positions posted, see blog post at http://homepages.uc.edu/secondlife

Locations to post job flyers:
  • Rhodes, ERC, Baldwin message boards
  • Rowe Center for Women Engineers - Baldwin Rm 653
  • UC Women's Center - Steger Student Life Center Suite 571 & 565
  • African American Cultural & Resource Center - Sanders Complex
  • Ethnic Programs & Services - Steger Student Life Center Suite 555
  • LGBTQ Center - Steger Student Life Center Suite 681
  • DAAP message boards
  • Branch campuses if you have easy access
Alex will post flyers at RWC.

- Reporting Project Hours on Spreadsheet
Be more descriptive in "Project" and "Descriptions" columns.

POC-CENT

Google docs sculpt texture
Ryon has made the HUD.
Joel Has made a few textures for the HUD.
Alex has made a simple crash cart. Will add a drawer to the crash cart with a texture of listed items.

Motion Capture

Animation made fixing the arm animation.
Start documenting MoCap work on wiki.


May 19, 2011


Chair: Chris

Attendees:
Ryon
Alex
Brad
Joel
Mary

Unity3D

Viewed a link provided by Chris (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0H55Iiac8g) which demos some of the capabilities and features of various Game Engines. Chris stated that in the future (possibly over the summer) we will begin working toward using Unity3D for simulations as well as OpenSim and SL.

OpenSim

Ryon and Chris moved the OpenSim server to it's new location in G95 yesterday. The server is up and running and should be accessible, however OpenSim is not yet configured and available. Chris stated that she will work on configuring OpenSim tomorrow or over the next several days to make it completely operational.

Monday (5/23/2011) at 1 pm OLN will be meeting to discuss the OLD OpenSim server.

CCTST

Chris made a presentation yesterday to the CCTST (Group of several hospitals) that wanted to know more about our simulation work. They will be logging into SL to try it out for themselves.

Specifically, there was mention of creating simulations or games to train new mothers in pre-natal care. As well, there was interest in using SL/OpenSim for CME Credit for doctors, nurses, and other practitioners to participate in Educational credit for maintaining their license. These conversations were in the preliminary stages.

POC-CENT

We received details for a scenario from POC-CENT. We need to look over the scenario and decide how to present it. The scene will need to include a decision tree which will have varying results or animations based on input received from the user. We will meet up next week possibly outside of the weekly meeting to discuss the scenario further as well as compile any questions that we may have for POC-CENT to develop a working time line for the scenario.

Ryon will work with Alex to teach him "Prim Puppeteer" and Alex will get "Prim Puppeteer" if he has enough Linden to purchase, if he needs more Linden he will contact Chris.

Motion Capture

Brad setup the other computer in mocap studio - still dropping roughly 5 fps, but it is better. Tested capturing an animation from the Brekel software
and the arms seem to be an issue, but still researching.

Alex discovered how to correct the arm issue by using the T-Pose frame as a reference frame.

Closing Notes

-Our Annual Budget Wish List is due tomorrow (Brad will request a book on Unity3d)

-Brad is unavailable for the time that Joe with POC-CENT will be working (Tuesday and Thursday 2-5). Ryon will work with Joe using the training plan that Brad developed.

-UC will be closed on Monday 5/30 for Memorial Day (a week from this coming Monday)

-Due to her current duties, Chris has not been in SL lately. She has requested that we all log in and keep Skype open while working.

-Brad will install Skype on the MoCap studio tomorrow.

-Alex has updated the animation training manual. http://ucsltraining.wikispaces.com/Animations

-POC-CENT's island is currently featured in the SL destination guide.

May 12, 2011


Chair: Chris

Attendees:
Ryon
Alex
Brad
Joel
Mary

(The RL meeting ran from approx. 1:00 - 1:30 pm.)

OpenSim


We need a special cable run from the DMZ to the rack, then we can move our OpenSim machine to G94 MSB.

POCCENT


Ryon will present his demo at the next meeting.
Joel has completed the foundation.

Sinclair Community College is joining the OpenSim grid and wants help with nursing simulations.
Other institutions have expressed interest, too.

Chris plans to prepare the POCCENT annual bill tomorrow. We are only charging them for things they actually use or for something we demo for their consideration.

Annual Budget: Wish List


Chris will be preparing the annual budget and a list of requests for our area. Everyone is invited to submit a "wish list" (by next Friday) of hardware, software, books, and so forth.

MoCap, Animation, & Scene Animation


Whether or not Ben decides to purchase Kinect, we plan to do so.

The animation demo is a success!

Brad's evaluating Motion Builder and so far finds it terrific.

Alex says we need to make frame #1 in Poser with all of the default settings to avoid "listing" and other issues. He has uploaded the .oar files to Google docs.

Ryon's scene animation demo is a success! Also, he is writing a detailed guide about how to do it.

Training Guide


We will be adding more assessments. Chris would like 10-15 questions about creating animations and uploading them to Second Life. She strongly encouraged the team to document things that work and post them to the Wiki to save others the process - not just in the future, but now.

We're adding a new chapter to the Guide about Animating Avatars & Scenes.

Closing Notes


- Brad is drafting a training plan for Joe. He will submit the plan to Chris shortly.

- Next week, Chris will be in New Jersey at the Emerging Learning Design Conference. (She will not be working as usual W-F.)

May 5, 2011


Chair: Fleep Tuque

Attendees:
Ryon Bloobury
Alex09 Danitz
Bartleby XXVI
Ringo Moonstone
Merry Alchemi

(The in-world meeting ran from approx. 1:30 - 2:25 pm.)

OpenSim


We will be moving our OpenSim box to G95 MSB. Don Rainwater has approved the purchase of everything we requested. Steve Crump will be assisting in the move.

Chris needs to upload the latest campus build, inventory items (e.g., animations), etc. Alex will upload his animation - OAR - files asap.

POCCENT


Joe Stazak, a biomedical student with graphic design experience, has joined the POCCENT team. Brad & Ryon have volunteered to train him (about two hours each session for about three sessions). This time we can use the training manual.

Ryon & Brad will draft a training plan and decide: What Joe needs to know before he comes to the office & what they would like to cover when he's here. (For instance, he'll need to know the basics of the interface.) PLEASE STRESS PROPER PERMISSIONS: In the past, BJ's students haven't left permissions so that we have access to their textures and objects. Joe cannot attend the meetings (which have been on Monday at 10 for the past year or so), but the meeting time is changing (& tentatively will be Tuesdays, 3-4, starting May 17th, biweekly). This should accommodate the clinicians who will be working with us on the scenarios.

At their last meeting, the POCCENT team reviewed our progress on the hospital: waiting area, waiting rooms, patient rooms. Mary Beth said the space seemed cavernous to her. Is it possible to oversize some of the objects, then, to make the scale look more normal? Solution: Perhaps scale up a bit, but not greatly. We're not finished putting content in the emergency room, of course. We can put in some decorative items to visually fill the space. We need to finish the ER and the rest of the first floor as soon as possible.

Important: Everyone needs to have his time reviewed for the POCCENT time sheet by the end of business (5 pm) tomorrow so Chris can do the (annual) billing.

We're starting work on a simulation from a scenario script. Ryon will be working up a demo with an ambulance (i.e., the truck, even if it isn't textured yet). Joel is working on the ambulance texture - & only has the grill and the front end to finish! The only user interaction will be triggering the scene. We need the manikins placed & moving.

For the POCCENT team, Chris will be scheduling some demos of what other universities are doing. The UCSL development team MAY be invited if there aren't so many participants it could be awkward.

CTST (the Clinical & Translational Science something) has requested information about SL simulations. The CTST group is a collaboration of the VA Hospital, UC College of Medicine, University Hospital, & Childrens Hospital. More information will be forthcoming.

Joel has been adding the hospital's foundation and expects to finish it with another hour (or so) of work.

Motion Capture


Joel & Alex have made significant progress made with Kinect. We may purchase when we have successfully imported an animation into SL. (Joel says we hope to do that tomorrow!) Ben (in DAAP) is interested (in buying Kinect), too. (Chris will talk to Ben about a possible sharing of resources).

Chris: Can the animation files be used to animate the prim manikins?
Ryon: We cannot use it in the prim animation software.
Chris: We'll have to see. Bots can be animated but manikins cannot; right?
Ryon: I'll check it out. NOTE: BVH files cannot be used for anything other than avatars (including bots), Ryon reported shortly after the meeting.

ChatBot


ChatBot progress: Ryon reports that in his free time, he got the bot to respond to voice!

Ikarus Library


We're using the reference card object to vend research papers & need signs for specific areas. There are a few other signs left to tweak. The bulletin board works fine for links to various UCIT areas - but the glow had to go because it was causing a "smudged" effect.


April 22, 2011


Chair: Chris
Attendees:
Brad
Joel
Ryon
Mary Jane

We reviewed the notes from the meeting of the 21st, & visited POCCENT's hospital. "The patient rooms and ER look good!" Chris told Brad and Joel.

We must continue to refine elements, reducing prims wherever possible. Everyone must double-check permissions. Remember: 256 prims max. per link set!

POCCENT wants an ICU. They have a clinician to work with us. The clinician is not available mornings, so meetings will change to afternoons.

Note: We have scrubs, but need EMT outfits.

Ryon reported that he finds PandoraBots to offer the best service. He has added virtual host technology that allows the bot to speak. We can add HTML to the bot to make it match the style of the POCCENT web site.

We hope to use the Motion Capture (MoCap) studio to create a lot of animations, especially WALKING, but also, FLYING, LANDING, JUMPING, and RUNNING.

April 21, 2011


Attendees:
Alex
Bartleby
Merry

POCCENT
Feedback from the Hospital meeting is in and BJ likes the progress.
Brad is currently making the patient rooms.
Visited the hospital and reviewed the rooms

CHATBOT: (Ryon Bloobury 4/22)
I have been messing with AIML and believe that streaming pandorabots into SL to be the best and fastest (in terms of response) option.
I have added Text to Voice option as well as an animated face to the browser version.

http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk-oddcast?botid=ad867512ae346577

There is also the option to add html to the browser bot to mimic the poccent template if needed.

MoCap
Team set up motion capture studio, updated the lab pc, and had live data feeding into motion builder.

Ikarus Library
Low prim book cases in place; research categories selected and ready to show next week.

Mesh
After 3D model is built in maya, texture it and save the file as .jpg then upload the model into SL and check the "textured" box. Then, upload the .jpg and assign the texture to the mesh.

Animations
Alex figured out what was wrong with the animations. The animation orients object by hips (hips are the top of the hierarchy)
Next step is to remake walk and run animations.

April 14, 2011


Chair: Fleep
Attendees:
Merry
Bartleby*

OpenSim

Waiting... NOC did not receive work order for request to move the new server outside the firewall, so Chris is refiling. When the machine looks like it's outside the firewall, people inside and outside the firewall should be able to access it.

OLN Spring Colloquium presentation went okay. Chris demonstrated OpenSim running on her laptop. Several people were interested and asked a lot of questions. Next presentation on the 26th TeachU (sponsored by OLN). Seminar will be presented on Adobe Connect.

Adobe Connect cannot be used to stream Second Life at a high enough frame rate to be pleasing.


POCCENT

This morning, Chris was working on an urban street scene in the park. She rezzed some ambulences (from her Inventory), but the scripted objects (inexplicably) disappeared... Intending to return them to her inventory, Chris accidentally clicked the wrong button - and returned all scripted objects on the region!

Linden Labs responded to Chris' request for a roll-back in an hour. The last "safe date" was 13 April, 11:45 pm. All the scripted objects had to be "restarted."

This incident demonstrates how much we rely on Linden Labs when we use Second Life - vis-a-vis how we can independently recover from such a potentially devastating misstep in OpenSim.

Urban street scene and landscaping. We need low prim vehicles

We now have a direct entrance for ambulences, and the emergency room layout is as our POCCENT clients want it.

NOTE: Brad/Bartleby arrived at 1:30 to let us know that Joel & Ryon were still at the Motion Capture Studio. Fleep said the students could continue with their MoCap experience, but everyone, individually, should meet with her tomorrow. (Chris will be in the office.)

Library

Library development continues. We need low-prim sculpted bookcases.


April 8, 2011


Chair: Chris
Attendees:
Alex
Ryon
Brad
Mary

POCCENT

Alex is working to reduce the prim count. Chris pointed out further changes he can make toward that end.

Brad @Reception area
- lower prim count lights & beds
- clients want a patient lobby area, about five patient rooms, an ambulance area @entrance to the ER
- Emergency Room & Patient Rooms are their top priority now.

Chris will work on the landscaping outside the hospital.

Chris' next meeting with POCCENT will be on Monday the 18th.

POCCENT, in partnership with the College of Medicine, will be doing a research project focusing on SL training vs. more conventional training in the next academic year.

Ryon has been working with Pandora Bots (see pandorabots.com), and finds Pandora Chat more sophisticated than our older bot program. He will demo both types of bots at our next team meeting.

OPENSIM

Chris reported the system seems stable & is working well on campus, but the FIREWALL prevents access from outside campus because UC's security system assigns different internal and external IP addresses (on either side of the firewall), and OpenSim cannot be configured to do that. Therefore, Chris has requested that we run a (literal) server physically on campus, but virtually outside the firewall.

- Chris expects to make presentations on the 11th, the 22nd, and the 26th. She hopes to be able to demo OpenSim on the 26th.

- Please stay off UC OpenSim for the time being. Use your private sandbox for development work until further notice.

- Chris plans to take off work tomorrow (Friday the 8th) and will be in Columbus at the OLN Spring Colloquium Monday & Tuesday (11th & 12th).

IKARUS LIBRARY, etc.

Mary has replaced the signage in the Library and is working with Ryon to present the research materials in a menu format (for the sake of prim efficiency). With the training manual is basically completed, she will be adding some assessment questions to the end of each chapter. Chris also asked her patrol the Bookstore every morning for abandoned boxes.

Congratulations, Gentlemen!

Joel & Brad graduate after this quarter and Ryon expects to graduate (with his first of two pursued degrees) at the end of the summer! (Ryon does not expect to be able to work over the summer.)

(We will be starting the search for new student employees shortly.)

Chris encouraged every team member to organize his or her inventories, both in-world and on their hard drives and to document the location of their project files: textures, scripts, animations, etc. so she and new team members can find them.

April 1, 2011


Chair: Fleep
Attendees:
Ringo
Ryon
Merry (some!)

UCIT's Francy was in 406 Zimmer moving Chris & Mary's telephones during the meeting, keeping Merry off-line but for a few minutes, hence the sketchy notes.

We are making good progress developing the hospital.

For now, the focus in the Library will be on making research materials available.

IMPORTANT: Chris has the software license Brad needs.

PLEASE NOTE: Team meetings will now be on Thursdays at 1:00.

March 15, 2011


Chair: Fleep
Attendees:
Ringo
Ryon
Bartleby
Merry

- Fleep did a complete reinstall of OpenSim (& other software) on our new virtual machines & still had error messages, so tried a single server config. (and other configurations) and still sees problems. It doesn't look like Chris will be able to use it for OHECC Conference next week. (She scheduled to present next Thursday.)

- Could we do a construction of the Bookstore on FleepGrid?

Bartleby: Bookstore could be finished in a couple of hours.
Ringo: OneStop just needs a roof and a texture.

Chris needs help in FleepGrid, but is uncertain how to give any of us sufficient permissions...

Ryon: I think there's a console command to make more than one master avatar.... [He's looking into it.]

- We can get the Bookstore and OneStop ready in time. If FleepGrid is stable, we can we get the buildings imported and enough content to demonstrate in the next couple of days.

- OK: Chris will spruce up Fleep1Sim for use at the Conference. (This is our back-up plan.)

- Re: POCCENT: Go ahead developing the hospital. Get an emergency room & lobbey & reception desk, a surgical suite, and so forth.

- For the next couple of days, let's focus on finishing the OpenSim buildings, then continue with hospital and layout. BJ would like to see Emergency Room and reception areas first... Let's have a mock-up for all of the first floor, walls, floors, props, etc. with a target of mid-April to meet with the doctors and clinicians.

- No POCCENT meeting next Monday. Chris would like to have something to show at the meeting on the 28th.

- Ryon's working on ChatBots for the hospital!

Please keep your GMail open while you're at your desk.

March 4, 2011

Chair: Fleep
Attendees:
Bartleby
Alex09
Ringo


Open Sim Update
-Currently the database connection keeps dropping
-Chris will seek mySql assistance next week


OLN
-We will have 2 virtual machines up and running by the end of the month
one will be a test machine the other a production machine
-The VM's will be hosted at ORNET
-OLN OS should be read for us by the end of March


POCCENT
-A floor will be laid for display by Monday (excluding stairways)
-Future floors cant be megaprims (some area of floors need to match the rest of the room)
-POC-CENT Virtual Hospital sign will be made by Monday, matching Station 2
-Elevator texture needs to be made and put on ocean side of hospital
-Alex is working on reducing prims around the funding building then moving on to the auditorium and welcome center
-He has made chairs, couches and tables and will make desks and lamps etc..


Reminders
-Update Wiki and Calendar with next quarter's school schedule ASAP
(Students may be using SL more heavily next quarter and schedules need to be posted to know when we would be able to provide support)
-Office smelled strongly of adhesive on 3/3, if anyone notices bio-hazards in or around the building call Chris
-Joel was requested by name to provide class support (congrats!) and will mark it on the calendar

-Chris will get a Windows Photoshop license for Brad on Monday (ty!)

February 18, 2011


Chair: Fleep
Attendees:
Bartleby
Alex09
Ringo
Merry

Fleep called the meeting to order at 2:02 pm.

Our DNS request got approved for our servers! Simulators are on ucsim1.irc.uc.edu and Grid Services - ucsim2.irc.uc.edu.

ucsim.uc.edu > ucsim2.irc.uc.edu

http://ucsim.uc.edu:8002

Virtual machine software is running on a server emulating 2 machines, ucsim1 and ucsim2. These sit behind a load balancer that processes incoming requests and routes traffic. This sits behind the university's DNS server, load balancer, and firewall. The IP traffic coming to us has to travel through all these layers.

Blue ribbon committee is examining IT across the university... What should continue to be decentralized or centralized? Where do we have overlap in IT services?

Tour for NIH and NIBIB (gov't. agencies funding the POCCENT project) went well. March 7 next in-person advisory committee meeting... We will be presenting...and expect targeted feedback from yesterday's tour.

Hospital under construction, now & Alex working on reducing PRIM count for our existing content.

We'll be building teaching spaces, etc.

OpenSim servers - access to virtual machines - database installed - Fleep reported successful login... But subsequent crash (during OAR file upload)... Fleep is working to restore connectivity on internal network (i.e., communication between the virtual servers).

Everybody should be wearing a MystiTool HUD. Its radar shows other avatars within 96 meters.

Check region monitors upstairs from our in-world office space... We've had seventy+ visitors on campus during the time we've recorded talking to only a couple... Let us be vigilant about greeting visitors and offering to be of service.

Thank you for cleaning up the boxes around the Bookstore...

Chris' proposal for a presentation at OHECC (http://www.uc.edu/eventservices/OHECC.html) has been accepted & approved. She is scheduled to present on both Second Life and OpenSim on Thursday, March 24.

Brad and Joel are working on POCCENT for the March 7th meeting.

Merry is making progress developing the CiteULike listing of research materials and plans to begin figuring out how to present resources in the Library. An initial draft of the Training Guide is basically completed. We'll be adding OpenSim materials.

BTW: See the change log at http://ucslteam.wikispaces.com/UC+Opensim+Grid+Change+Log.

We visited the new hospital-in-development - POC-CENT, University of Cincinnati5 (85, 196, 25)... It will be four (4) floors high and extend to the edge of the region. Nothing should extend beyond the red dashed lines.

We need to include "fire escapes" on every floor (e.g., balcony exits at various points) so people - esp. newbies - do not feel trapped.

Fleep has rerouted the river and flattened some of the land.

See https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkZg6dQ6MliZdG11MHU5OWZjZlBvRW9pQ3ZJcmNUTnc&hl=en&authkey=CMmzwd0F#gid=0/.

We'd like to reduce 1,700 prims by 500 to about 1,200 on the parcel where POC-CENT offices are.

Can sculpts be exported through XML through the Imprudence viewer rather than an OAR file? Let's test this.

Meeting adjourned at 3:11 pm.

February 11, 2011


Chair: Fleep
Attendees:
Bartleby
Alex09
Ringo
Merry

We will be able to work on new system collaboratively as soon as the new UC OpenSim system is stable.

Alex reported having finished creating various animations: Sitting, Walking, Classroom and Speaking.

Regarding POCCENT, Fleep reported that Several folks from Childrens Hospital, University Hospital, etc. are interested in using Second Life for training clinicians.
They would like to have a hospital on the other side of POCCENT Island.

POCCENT team will add something to web page pointing people to SL content.

Military PTSD island is well done.

FYI: Josh (Axel) will be out on medical leave for a while. We expect him to be fine, but he will be off work for a while.

Next week:

- Ringo/Joel out on Tuesday
- Fleep/Chris has one SL presentation next week, with a week of several coming up quickly

Fleep reminded everyone: Be sure to wear HUDs so you can greet visitors... We're close to the Start Location, here...

Right-click, Remove, then Return items left on campus that shouldn't be here. Check especially around the bookstore. Have the University of Cincinnati Affiliated Group active.

Tweet every day as part of our marketing strategy... Simply report what you're working on or something interesting about SL or OpenSim... The Provost's Office is watching...

Fleep/Chris has finished sidewalks and has transferred McMicken Hall to OpenSim

Merry/Mary has nearly completed the training manual. She has embedded the videos, replacing some of them with better candidates.... Alex is creating a movie about uploading animations for use in SL.

Ringo/Joel is still working on OneStop building. This is a top priority!

Bartleby/Brad... having technical difficulties w/SL... but working on buildings for OpenSim... Sunnyside Hall looks wonderful, Fleep said. Staying focused on Bookstore until it's finished.

Sculpts exported through XML are not working properly <?> : can you export & import through Imprudence client without trouble? OAR works.

February 4, 2011


Chair: Fleep
Attendees:
Bartelby
Alex09
Ringo
Ryon
Merry

New OpenSim servers initially configured as two machines: one to run Grid Services (including user services) and the other to run Simulators.

Firewalls & Load Balancers
OpenSim requires UDP & TCP ports to be open

OHECC (Ohio Higher Education Computing Council) Conference will be 3/23 - 3/25/11: Chris will withdraw her offer to present at the conference if the system is not running and stable by 2/25.

OLN - Tuesday @2.

POCCENT - meeting: to help their users who were going to apply for funding to develop better content.
Call for proposals every 2 years; last @end November
Their web site was to have had an announcement leading to SL content, but it was buried and of 100s of web site visitors only 4 saw the SL content

Phase II

Other Mission - to encourage research they want to see

Technologies to address their unmet needs & answering neurological events

New Training: Simulations & Role Playing
Storyboards
Michenima - economical to make videos

PTSD Trauma Site
SLURL
T2 PTSD Education / 133 / 196 / 29

Military PTSD Site Sim - everyone look at it

Transferring McMicken & OneStop/Bookstop - The creator of OneStop/Bookstore says no to portage to Open Sim

We visited Fleepgrid.com:8002.

January 28, 2011


Chair: Fleep
Attendees:
Alex09
Ryon
Ringo
Bartleby
Axel
Merry

Fleep reported that Paul Schwab has encountered some (unspecified) problem with one of our new (OpenSim) servers, but still hopes to grant us access to our virtual servers next week.

OLN Updates: U. of Toledo plans to delay SL development for at least six months, and Central State has stalled.

POCCENT meetings are resuming team meetings at 10 am Mondays. Fleep will definitely attend next week (1/31). The newest team member is Maria Cassidy.

Fleep reminded everyone who is creating items in OpenSim to upload their OAR files to our shared documents folder. Furthermore:

- Remember, everybody: Use consistent naming schemes and take extra care to set permissions correctly.
- Please box all like objects in one big box, e.g., a box of furniture might contain 10 couches, 12 tables, 20 chairs.
- OpenSim does not handle "coalesced objects," that is marquise-selected but unlinked groups.
- Always make sure you're in the right region in the console to avoid overwriting other work. (In the console, use the command change region REGIONNAME.)
- Make sure sculpted prims are carrying over through your OAR files.

We discussed what we will be recreating in OpenSim, and have agreed on (at least) the following:

Bookstore
OneStop
McMicken
Bridge
Faculty Offices
An Orientation Area - not as elaborate as in SL





January 14, 2011


Chair:
Fleep
Attendees:
Alex
Bradley
Joel
Josh
Mary Jane

Fleep reminded everyone who is creating items in OpenSim to upload their OAR files to our shared documents.

She is very busy preparing for OHECC (Ohio Higher Education Computing Council) & to teach for the state (OLN, Ohio Learning Network) & to respond to various requests for presentations.

Our new OpenSim server is up and running! We should be able to start using it in another couple of weeks.

At the next meeting, we will discuss design ideas for our new OpenSim campus.

Ohio Learning Network (OLN) - Chris will be going to a meeting in Columbus this month.
Central State & Toledo have (sadly) reported that their staff "cannot do" SL.

POCCENT
Regarding the POCCENT Scenarios [http://ucslteam.wikispaces.com/POCCENT+Simulations]:
Merry suggested that we could make videos for presenting the scenes in detail.
Brad suggested that we design a HUD the participants can use from the point of view of the EMT.
Alex and Fleep explained further what the POCCENT team want. They want their visitors to consider what technology they could develop to meet the "unmet needs" in each scenario.

POCCENT will resume weekly Monday morning meetings with a rep from our team.

BTW: NSF (the National Science Foundation) is using SL. [You may want to see http://www.liquida.com/page/15502799/.]

Animations
Alex demonstrated some new walking animations he has created using Poser and has agreed to write a section for the training guide about importing animations for use in SL.

Training Guide
We need to add a link to the Blender tutorial... Plus, Joel is working on a Maya module.

Mesh
In 2 weeks Brad expects to present a mesh demo to the team.

January 7, 2011 - 2PM EST




Chair: Fleep

1. UC Second Life Project (General)

Student Schedules for Winter Quarter - Students, please make sure your hours are listed correctly on the wiki.

Student Worker Policy (Hours & Multiple Positions) - There's a crack-down in progress: domestic student workers may not work more than
a total 30 hours for the university and foreign students may not exceed 20 hours of work for the university. This applies to each student, regardless
of whether or not he or she has more than one job at UC.

Virtual Office Remodel - Fleep received some feedback from the Education World Roundtable Group, who toured our
virtual campus and found it pleasing but for their impression that the development team is online, but unavailable...

Fleep placed boards at the landing spot & in our office so visitors can see when we're online & so anyone can contact us... In addition to
using the wiki & our spreadsheets, let's use the PROJECT TEAM TRACKING BOARDS.We can edit the sliders to inform one another
& our visitors about our progress on various projects. Fleep used xyltext code so we don't have to create new textures for new projects...
Note that each of us has his or her own channel to access project labels...

BTW: We got very positive feedback on the Bookstore!

Ikarus Library Project - [http://slurl.com/secondlife/University%20of%20Cincinnati/128/226/25/] Merry will be developing more resources and content. (UC Libraries does not have staff to devote to it right now. Fleep suggested everyone visit in-world libraries and share neat ideas with the team.

Please Note: POCCENT Scenarios assigned for consideration of how to present as follows:

Scenario
#1 - Ryon
#2 - Bartleby
#3 - Alex09
#4 - Ringo
#5 - Fleep
#6 - Merry

See http://ucslteam.wikispaces.com/POCCENT+Simulations.

2. OpenSim

Server Progress

Asset Creation/Transfer

3. Ohio Learning Network

Central State University

University of Toledo

Monthly OLN SL Meetup
- Tuesday 1/11 at 2 pm: Tool Review: Latest & Greatest Scripted Educational Tools in Second Life
- Suggestions for useful tools?

4. POCCENT

Discuss scenarios, what's feasible to do in Second Life?

Remember to tweet... See http://ucsltraining.wikispaces.com/Using+Twitter.